When we make a mistake after setting a goal or making a plan, it can often open the Pandora’s box of crappy feelings and negative self talk. Hearing those thoughts can feel so defeating and lead us to make more decisions that don’t serve us. Instead of listening to those voices, you can learn to cultivate self compassion and soothe yourself through hard times.
Small Steps in the Show:
- Notice the feelings/thoughts in your body.
- Take deep breaths.
- Remove yourself from an overwhelming environment if needed.
- Talk to yourself like you would your friend/loved one.
- Zoom out and take an inventory of all the things that have gone right/that you did today/that you feel good about.
- Remember that you have more chances to make different choices.
- Journal or taking notes to remember those choices and outcomes, if helpful.
- Read Self Compassion by Dr Kristin Neff
- Try other ways of soothing yourself: movement, rest, hugging yourself, speaking to your younger self.
- Is this something you want/need professional help/guidance with a therapist?
Mentioned in the Show: