Food labels and claims have become more confusing and vague, especially when it comes to animal products. When we spend more money to make an ethical choice, we think we’re voting with our dollars, but potentially we’re not making the impact we really think we are due to confusing terms and a lack of government oversight. Organizations like A Greener World have taken things in their hands and have created labeling and labeling resources to help you get the food you intended to buy.
About Emily Moose
As Director of Communications and Outreach for A Greener World, Emily Moose leads the nonprofit’s outreach team, guiding communications, serving farmers and consumers and developing new programs and initiatives–including AGW’s labeling support, volunteer and membership programs. She’s a co-editor of Food Labels Exposed, AGW’s definitive guide to food labels, and has been featured in numerous conferences, publications and media outlets including Rodale’s Organic Life, Civil Eats and NPR. Emily is a total food label geek who loves empowering sustainability, transparency, and the interdependence of farmers and eaters.
About A Greener World
A Greener World (AGW) identifies, audits, certifies and promotes practical, sustainable farming systems by supporting farmers and ranchers and informing consumers. AGW’s growing family of trusted certifications includes Certified Animal Welfare Approved by AGW, Certified Grassfed by AGWand Certified Non-GMO by AGW. Each program is designed to have positive and measurable impacts on the environment, society and animals, and to encourage truly sustainable farming practices. AGW’s standards and procedures are robust, transparent and achievable.
A nonprofit funded by public donations and membership, AGW offers a range of resources to help people make informed food choices, including an Online Directory of certified farms and products andFood Labels Exposed–a definitive guide to food label claims (available in print, online, and as a smartphone app).
Small Steps in the Show:
- Look for a third party certification
- Stop rewarding greenwashing and make sure you’re getting what you pay for
- Look at the AGW Grassfed Label Comparison Chart to see what aligns with what you want and can afford with your purchases
- Read the Food Labels Exposed guide
- Consider not buying certain products if you’re specifically looking for humanely raised products with meaningful labels and can’t find them
- Spread the word about certifications and food labels with people in your life
- Reconnect with how food is raised and share that with others
- Ask your stores, farmers and companies for certified choices
- Use A Greener World’s letter as a guide to ask stores, farmers and companies for certified choices
- Thank those who are taking positive action
- Consider getting involved with A Greener World as a member or volunteer
- Check the AGW Directory to find products that match your values
Mentioned in the Show:
Food Labels Exposed Guide
Consumer Reports Greener Choices
A Greener World’s Product Directory
Grassfed Label Comparison Chart
North Carolina Natural Hog Growers Association
Central Grazing Company
Green Dirt Farm
A Greener World’s Website
Become a member of A Greener World
Follow A Greener World on Instagram| Twitter | Facebook