The weather is heating up for summer, and when that happens, the dial can crank up on diet culture bullshit and messaging. This week’s episode has some reminders about how the changing weather does not mean you need to change your body, go on a diet or fitness program, and that you can wear whatever clothes you want, regardless of your size and what’s “acceptable” from diet culture’s views and more.
Small Steps in the Show:
- Check in with yourself, are you having these thoughts?
- Get curious and ask questions. Where do these thoughts come from?
- Notice those thoughts, acknowledge them, have compassion for them, and see how you can take a different action.
- Think of ways you can start to step outside of the thoughts that apply to you.
- Find people or spend more time with people that support stepping outside of diet culture and celebrate who you are right now
- Unfollow spree of people spreading those messages
- Take one or a few actions, know that they may feel weird and new and that’s okay
- Have kindness and compassion for yourself and others when stepping outside of this
- Listen/read those extra resources from Taylor Gage, Steph Gaudreau and Chrissy King
Start following other people who support stepping outside of diet culture, my suggestions are here
Mentioned in the Show:
Small Steps #17 What is Diet Culture
Dr. Tee Williams
She Thrives Radio #28, Beach Season Reminders
Harder to Kill Radio #192, Wear the Shorts
Harder to Kill Radio #183 with Beauty Redefined
This Instagram post from Chrissy King
Inspiring People to Opt In With Blog Post