Trauma is being talked about more and more these days, but what exactly does it mean? If you’ve experienced trauma are you “stuck” with it forever? Sanaz Yaghmai, a trauma-informed coach and space holder is on the podcast today to talk about what trauma is and how we can cultivate our resilience and move with and through our traumas in many ways.
About Sanaz Yaghmai
Sanaz Yaghmai is a trauma-informed coach, consultant, and yoga teacher. Formally trained as a psychologist, she’s worked as a therapist in various communities in Southern California over the last decade. Her personal experience in trauma recovery through yoga in conjunction with therapy redirected her career path. With clinical expertise in the mind & human behavior, she now combines the practices of mindfulness, yoga & psychoeducation into her work as a Trauma-Informed Coach, cultivating a deepened sense of embodied resilience.
Currently she’s running trauma-informed programming in a refugee camp in Greece and holding resiliency trainings for humanitarian aid workers focused on secondary trauma, compassion fatigue & resilience.
Small Steps in the Show:
- Seek support in your life with people in your life or a professional
- Trust in your capabilities
- Honor your feelings as they are with less judgment
- Feel your feelings
- Find tools that calm you down and return to the present moment, perhaps breathwork or activating your five senses
- If looking for a professional, see if they specialize in working with trauma or are trauma-informed
- Incorporate movement that helps you return or be more in the present moment
- Address what is keeping you stuck and get specific
- Find out how you can take small steps into your fears in a supportive way
- Have a lot of kindness and compassion for yourself
- Notice the language you’re using to be more kind and compassionate to yourself