As the holidays approach, we may be thinking on plans to visit our families and that can come with some tension and baggage. I talked with Yin Li, LMFT about how we can get clear on our fears or uneasiness and potentially try a different approach to being around our families than in years past. We also talk about her site, Asians Do Therapy, that helps break the stigma that Asians and therapy don’t mix.
You can also listen in your favorite app: iTunes | Google Play | Spotify | Stitcher
About Yin Li
Yin Li is an Asian American marriage and family therapist licensed in California and Oregon. Her own therapy lead her to become a therapist. As a therapist, Yin works primarily with Asian and Asian Americans addressing a range of concerns. She enjoys working with folks who are either brand new to therapy or have had “bad” or ineffective experiences in therapy.
In addition to her work as a therapist, Yin created #AsiansDoTherapy and the subsequent website Asians Do Therapy to help normalize mental health, wellness, and therapy services in Asian communities. In sharing culturally relevant information and stories of Asians doing therapy, Yin hopes that more Asian and Asian Americans will seek therapy as a resource, available and meant for them, to lead more fulfilling, embodied and empowered lives.
Small Steps in the Show:
- Get clear about your feelings around being with your family
- Consider not going to your family’s gathering/home this year
- If you do decide to go, plan so that you can arrive as resourced as possible
- Consider removing yourself from the situation as best you can
- Reach out to friends and trusted family to get support while you’re going through things
- Get clear on your intentions around being with your family
- Consider creating some intentional time with your family that aligns with your intentions
Mentioned in the Show:
Buy my Enamel Pin
California Institute of Integral Studies
Asians Do Therapy Website
Follow Asians Do Therapy on Instagram
Theralane Counseling Website
Follow Theralane Counseling on Instagram
Follow Aimee on Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest
Sign up for the Wellness Wednesdays Newsletter
Interested in working with Aimee? Find out information here.