As more people learn about diets and diet culture can be harmful, they’re unsure of how to find what to do next. Intuitive eating is a great option and often gets misunderstood or misconstrued. In this week’s episode my guest Naomi Katz, Intuitive Eating Lay Facilitator in Training, and I dive into the pillars of Intuitive eating to clear up common misconceptions and get into the nuance of it all.
You can also listen in your favorite app: iTunes | Google Play | Spotify | Stitcher
About Naomi Katz
Naomi is a body image and self-trust coach in Asheville, North Carolina. She owns Happy Shapes Coaching, offering local and online programs designed to help women ditch diet culture and regain autonomy in how they see and treat their bodies. After starting her career as a personal trainer and nutrition coach, she realized that nobody gets comfortable in their skin by making changes on the outside.
Now she helps women build healthy relationships with themselves from the inside out. Her coaching focuses on shifting the attention off of appearance to better cultivate true self-acceptance, self-trust, and confidence. She’s currently training to be an Intuitive Eating Lay Facilitator, so that she can help women apply these concepts to their relationships with food.
Small Steps in the Show:
- Consider reading the Intuitive Eating book and/or working through the Intuitive Eating Workbook
- Ditch or reduce your use of diet culture accessories (trackers, scales, macros, measuring tapes etc)
- Track other things that are meaningful (sleep, mood, hunger)
- Notice how you talk about other foods, movement and your body
- Notice how often you use the term “should” when you talk about foods, movement and your body
- Consider do some digging on where those shoulds come from
- Notice where diet culture and the diet culture mentality is popping up in your life
Mentioned in the Show:
Buy my Enamel Pin
Small Steps #17: What is Diet Culture?
Intuitive Eating Book
Intuitive Eating Workbook
Body Neutrality article by Steph Gaudreau
Small Steps #62 with Jessie Mundell
Naomi’s Free 7 days to ditch diet culture email course
Follow Naomi on Instagram | Facebook
Follow Aimee on Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest
Sign up for the Wellness Wednesdays Newsletter
Interested in working with Aimee? Find out information here.