An important part of your health and healing can be reconnecting with your voice, owning your story and fully taking up space. Also just as important is finding the spaces where you feel like you can do that and feel comfortable. In this episode, I talk with Lestraundra Alfred of the Balanced Black Girl all about how she started to use her voice, own her story and how she pivoted to create meaningful wellness content focused on amplifying women of color.
About Lestraundra Alfred
Lestraundra Alfred is a Social Media Manager, Podcast host, experienced corporate communicator and wellness advocate. She started her first blog The Balanced Berry in 2014 to share her love of fitness and nutrition with others. After years of feeling dissatisfied with the lack of diversity in wellness content shared on large platforms, she pivoted to create Balanced Black Girl Podcast in 2018. Balanced Black Girl is a lifestyle brand that provides content and experiences empowering women of color to live their healthiest lives.
Small Steps in the Show:
- Check out the guests on the Balanced Black Girl Podcast and visit them if they’re in your area or you’re going to be in their cities.
- Look into a brand/space/event’s website or social media presence to see how much they are or are not speaking to a diverse group of people, showing or stating being a safe space for lots of different people, and who the staff is
- Get outside your usual radius for in person events or spaces
- Unpack any beliefs around going to the areas outside your radius, if needed
- Bring a friend with you, especially to less diverse spaces
- Own/start using the name that you use that resonates with you
- Share your opinions, thoughts and/or unique experience and perspective, even if they’re not what everyone else thinks in small comfortable settings
- Start showing up as you more and more in places you feel more safe and secure in
- Don’t apologize for your opinions, thoughts and/or experiences
Mentioned in the Show:
Becoming by Michelle Obama
Ignited Womxn Summit
Balanced Black Girl Book Club
Balanced Black Girl Podcast #27 with Irie Love
Balanced Black Girl Podcast #26 with Briana Owens
Listen to the Balanced Black Girl Podcast
Balanced Black Girl Website
Follow Lestraundra on Instagram
Follow Balanced Black Girl on Instagram | Facebook Community